Monday, October 24, 2016

Tips on Running/Training for a Marathon

Ever wanted to run a marathon but just don't know where to start? Well here are some tips on how you can start and stay motivated all the way 'till the finish line!




Marathons have lots of benefits. Physical exercise, social interaction, building self-esteem, and accomplishing something that's downright very difficult to do. I started running marathons when I was 15 years old. I am now 18 and I have completed 4 with my 5th being in under 2 weeks from today. I have calculated that I have run over 1,600 miles and I'm on my 4th pair of running shoes. 

I have to start by saying that running a marathon is anything but easy to do. Commitment, motivation, and perseverance are all qualities one needs to have... or develop.

To start off running, you need a game plan. Figure out how many times a week you will be running and how far you will go. As the marathon date comes closer, you will need to be pretty far up there in mileage. I started by running 2 miles every other weekday and 4 miles on Saturdays. I wasn't going for time, just distance. Once I got further along in my weeks, I started running 4 miles every other weekday and 6 miles on Saturdays. I never went above 4 miles on weekdays but rather worked on how fast I could run those 4 miles as the weeks progressed. And on my "Saturday Long Run" as I soon called it, I increased my mileage by 2 miles every week. 




Now being young and healing quickly was on my side, but as I grew older I realized that I needed to give myself more space in between runs. And you have to find a run that works for you. As long as it gets you where you need to be. 


Never ever run the 26.2 miles before the marathon day. Accomplishing that distance is meant for the day you do it. I never ran more than 24 miles in my training. It gave my mind something to shoot for and helped with the motivation. 

Some people need coaches or a friend to push them. This will help with commitment. Whoever you choose to encourage you, make sure they know that they won't always be playing the "good guy". 
Sometimes anger is the only motivation you have to keep you going.  

Others either don't have a coach or prefer not to have one (like myself). You'll still need motivation. Thankfully with new technology, you can plug in your mp3 player and crank up some tunes to keep you going. 

Also, electrolytes are very important. Potassium, sodium, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are all burnt up when you work out and sweat.

Your body will function 110% better when running off fuels that power it. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and white meats are all power foods that will help you do your best. If your a vegan or vegetarian, try beans and rice together or toast and beans to make a perfect protein. Try to stay away from refried beans and white rice as those have been either bleached or fried. 

Stay focused, stay on task, and go for the finish line!




I hope some of these tips help and if you do decide to run a marathon, half marathon, 10k, 5k, or triathlon I wish you the best of luck. Finishing something that big gives you a euphoria and a happiness that you will remember for the rest of your life. 



Best Wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment