Thursday, April 20, 2017

Social Media at a Glance

Though social media can be a powerful tool, I tend to have a negative affinity towards it. I am a social media marketer and work with platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and a few other smaller social media sites. My job actually entails brand promotion through generating influencer leads and having simple conversations on the various platforms. Since I currently spend more than 20 hours a week doing this and plan on doing this the rest of my life, one can see where I’d get the negative feelings about social media. To me, it’s a variety of online platform where millions of people are all “yelling” at each other what they think others want to hear. But in turn, almost nobody is listening but simply yelling back what they thing the other person wants to hear about them. It’s a place where you can be anybody or anything. Just simply limit what others see by filtering your content and showcasing only the best things about oneself.

On the other hand, I do see social media helping people. People with anxiety, people with social problems or those who struggle with reaching out to others for help. I believe strongly in supporting real relationships with social media and not trying to generate meaningful strong relationships online (though I’m sure that can be done sometimes as well). I think there is healthy middle ground where social media is used as a supplement to real life. For connecting with friends and family that may live far away. For seeing news and updates in people’s lives who mean something to oneself. For connecting hobbies, passions, interests and strengths to those who can relate to one another. And lastly, for expanding one’s horizons and seeing how others live and thrive and struggle.


I see the good in social media. And when taken with a grain of salt, I believe it to be very good. But not always perfect and definitely shouldn’t be used for everything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment